photo-img-1

San Carlos Museum

The San Carlos Museum in San Carlos University houses archaeological finds, some from archaeological excavations sponsored by the university; ethnic art; ecclesiastical art; and botanical and zoological specimens.
In the museum is the altar from Opon church (now Lapu-lapu City, Mactan). This church was built by the Augustinians in the 18th century. The church stood on a elevated ground facing the sea and was dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Regla (Our Lady of the Rule), a devotion from Cadiz, Spain introduced by Fr. Francisco Aballe, in the 18th century. The church construction is attributed to Fr. Aballe, who built the church either in 1735 or 1744. The convento was built in 1855 by Fr. Simón Aguirre. While the convento still remains in Lapu-lapu city, the church was deliberately torn down and a concrete church of undistinguished design was built in its place.
Open Mondays to Fridays, 10 A.M. – 12 noon; 1 P.M. to 5 P.M.
Also in San Carlos is the Cebuano Studies Center. A specialized library and archives houses documents, books, pamphlets and vintage photographs about Cebu.

Source: San CarloS Museum

VN:F [1.8.4_1055]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.8.4_1055]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Comments (0)
Leave a Comment

Threaded commenting powered by Spectacu.la code.