photo-img-1
Historical Attractions

Fort San Pedro National Coliseum

The smallest, oldest triangular bastion fort in the country was build in 1738 to repel Muslim raiders. In turns, it served as a stronghold for Filipino revolutionaries. This served as the nucleus of the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines. It has a total inside area of 2,2025 sq. Meters. The walls are 20 feet [...]

read more...



Cebu Capitol

The Cebu Capitol, built in 1937 during the incumbency of Gov. Sotero Cabahug, is the terminus of Jones Ave. Strategically located at the foot of a hill, the graceful capitol commands a dramatic setting. Classic elements contribute to the sedate beauty of the structure. Its concave facade links two wings of the capitol forming a [...]

read more...



Plaza Independencia

Plaza Independencia is strategically located between Fort San Pedro and the building that used to be the Gobierno Provincial in the downtown area of Cebu. The plaza is a popular hangout for many living or working around the area. It is one huge garden filled with trees, ornamental plants and flowers. There is also a [...]

read more...



Heritage of Cebu Monument

Commissioned by the Archdiocese of Cebu, the Heritage of Cebu monument is a tableau built by renowned artist Eduardo Castrillo featuring some of Cebu’s important heritage sites and events. The monument, which was then turned over to the city government, was in turn recently turned over to the officials of Barangay Parian. It was reported [...]

read more...



COLON STREET

Known as the oldest street in the Philippines, Colon Street was built by the Spaniards during the time of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi. Named after Cristobal Colon (Christopher Columbus), it is the heart of downtown Cebu, a glittering area by night lined with movie houses, restaurants, department stores, and other business establishments. Developed by Miguel [...]

read more...



UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS

The University of San Carlos traces its humble beginnings to Colegio de San Ildefonso, a school founded by Jesuit missionaries Antonio Sedeño, Pedro Chirino and Antonio Pereira on August 1, 1595. The school closed down in 1769 when the Jesuits were expelled from the Philippines but reopened in 1783, through the initiative of Bishop Mateo [...]

read more...



LAPU-LAPU MONUMENT

Located inside an enclosed park at Punta Engaño on the northern side of Mactan are two monuments one a hundred years older than the other commemorating the events of 1521. When Spanish soldiers led by Magellan were quelled by islanders led by Lapu-lapu. The monuments are along the road that leads to Shangri-la Mactan.Heritage site: [...]

read more...



MAGELLAN’S CROSS

Magellan’s Cross is a Christian cross planted by Portuguese, and Spanish explorers as ordered by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu in the Philippines on April 21, 1521. This cross is housed in a chapel next to the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño on Magallanes Street (Magallanes being the Spanish name of Magellan), just in [...]

read more...



MAGELLAN’s MARKER

Location: Punta Engaño Lapulapu City About 20 kms. From Cebu City. Encouraged by the success of Christianizing the people of Cebu, Magellan crossed the channel to Mactan Island in an effort to spread the faith. Before he reached the shores, he was killed by the chieftain of the island, Lapulapu and his men during the [...]

read more...